Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Mentor Text For Launching K - 2

Now that we have some time to reflect I'd like to start organizing for the coming school year. In thinking about one of the challenges we face each day, finding the right materials to match lessons is high on the list. I thought I would start a notebook for next year with sections in it for each unit I teach. In there I would keep notes on text I use, copies of any clippings I find, etc. I'd like to start this first blog entry around the first units we will be teaching in September - Launching. What mentor text have you all used to get the year off on the right foot? Please remember to include the full title of the text you are discussing, the author's name and any other information you feel we should know. I look forward to reading your entries.

Laura
readinglady.com

6 comments:

Unknown said...

http://www.debrennersmith.com/2008/07/mentor-texts-units-of-study-k-2-lucy.html

http://www.debrennersmith.com/2008/07/k-2-lucy-calkins-units-of-study-must_25.html

I have posted the Mentor Texts that Lucy Calkins suggests on these two links.

Unknown said...

I use Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes.

Before reading Wemberly Worried, we discuss things that might worry us about starting a new school year.

After listening to the story, we draw and write our feelings about starting the new school year. This also becomes the first book we publish. We call is Wemberly Worried...and so did we!

Lisa said...

I agree with Louise. Kevin Henkes is a great author to begin the school year with! The kids really relate to the characters and events in his books. Wemberly Worried, Chrysanthemum, Lily's Purple Plastic Purse, Jessica, Sheila the Brave... This is a great author study to introduce connections.

Kim said...

Mentor texts for inspiring readers include the new 2008 picture book Born to Read by Judy Sierra, Wild About Books by Judy Sierra, and the book WOLF! by Becky Bloom. For inspiring writers there is a new 2008 book called The Best Story by Eileen Spinelli as well as some older titles such as Nothing Ever Happens on 90th Street by Roni Schotter and Gooney Bird Greene by Lois Lowry.

Unknown said...

http://debrennersmith.blogspot.com/

This is my corrected link to my site. THANKS. I would appreciate it if you fix the link on your site. Hope your year is going smoothly. deb

Sylvia J. said...

I too love Kevin Henkes and Cynthia Rylant for beginning texts on making connections. Chrysanthemum and The Relatives Came rank high on our list.

Later students read several times throughout the year after our initial Read Aloud introduction and making connection lesson at DEAR time for the simply joy of reading.